Friday, September 14, 2018

I’ve decided to extract all my doll-making adventures, notes, and dolls from Ravelry and resurrect Queermaculture as muñequerx blog. I have all those notes on the Ravelry database, photos, dates, etc. And here I can share them in that silly blog way that’s just about what I’m thinking and trying to figure out. Sharing the research bits that I’m having the best time with.

The fact that I read Lisa Guerrero’s article on Bratz yesterday and then almost without a pause, I saw her mentioned on Lalo’s facebook.

“Can the Subaltern Shop? The Commodification of Difference in the Bratz Dolls” in Critical Studies <=> Critical Methodologies, Special Issue on Race and Kids’ Pop Culture, 2008.

The midwife dolls that Julieta Kusnir sent me a foto ofand and the way they’re sold by a AngloAmerican midwife living in Oaxaca but likely crafted by Oaxacan women, which has some parallels with the “invention” of the “Maria” dolls.

The different birth dolls I’ve seen. The anatomically correct dolls.

The African American women dollmakers, like Aniqua Wilkerson (My Kinda Thing) and Yolonda Jordan (My Pretty Brown Doll), who clearly articulate how the crafting of African American dolls is derives from African American culture. And how before they started doing it (and teaching it), there were few folks selling handmade African American dolls and some of those were just white dolls made with brown yarn.

White dolls/Brown Yarn

Yeah, I think maybe I’ll do this, even though it’s prob’ly only for my own pleasure!

Note: blog posts older than 9/14/2018 were actually journal entries, and were all imported to the blog today.

Here's an example of research:

10 diferentes tipos de muñecas artesanales y de dónde vienen

No comments:

Post a Comment