Monday, March 20, 2017

I’m still absurdly pleased with myself for finishing Rhonda bear. I will ship her out today.

We are getting ready for Dallas!

They sent my my ticket itinerary, so I guess I really am going too!

I was telling Luz that we should boycott because of the transphobic bathroom bill, and then when it turned out that they hadn’t sent my ticket and Luz says—panicked—“does that mean that only I am going?”

When I asked for them to send me my travel info, I had also asked for housing information, but when marla wrote back she said she’d be picking us up at the airport tomorrow. Which I guess means that we don’t need to know where we’re staying—information is on a Need to Know Basis!

Oh well, it will all be fine.

The program and the contract and all that looked really intimidating, but was actually fine!

I have a packing list going for the trip.

The pet sitter (Michelle and Mighty Mouse) come tomorrow and will keep our crew happy. Michelle came by for the key on Saturday while I was out, and Luz said the three dogs reuniting was the cutest, cutest thing.

When we went to pick up yesterday’s dinner, there was no parking in Piedmont. My old standby is to park in the Pet Food Express lot. Usually I go in and buy something but when we got there, Rocket Dog Rescue was having an adoption event. So I basically acted as a volunteer, cuddling a mama Min Pin while folks looked at her puppies. She was only two—same as Sweet Pea when we got her, and super good natured. She made growling sounds at some big dogs that were kind of close to her x-pen but not loud or not aggressive.

three hours when we got home and Nopalito smelled another dog on me he was NOT HAPPY! He gave me reproachful glances and snorted in disgust. Then he went over to the other furniture and attempted to wipe the smell off of his nose. That was a very sad moment.

Oh, I’m pms-ing, with the result that I was near tears after dropping Pearl’s eggs last evening when I was bringing the eggs in. (four brown eggs and one white one, so I knew it was Pearl’s). I apologized to her and tried to clean it up, but we were also in a hurry.

Let me go feed my puppies breakfast. I’ve been worrying that SweetPea is more frail after her dental visit resulted in five tooth extractions. She recovered pretty quickly, and except for the shaved area on her wrist.

Alright, Luz is tarting to get antsy so we need to put together a list of things to do today before our trip. We don’t leave until 2pm tomorrow, which is a mercy!

So this queer youth suggested knitting titties (there’s a knitting pattern linked to a pink breast cancer support group, that knits false breasts for women who have had mastectomies) for transwomen. I thought it was a pretty great idea, but because they said “that breast cancer org is prob’ly transphobic” they haven’t gotten any support.

Of course, they’re right, those breast cancer orgs prob’ly are hella transphobic.

what a super sweet idea this is!

I actually think it’s a better use to knit them for interested transfolk than for breast cancer survivors.. but i have kind a unique perspective, since my partner is a breast cancer survivor, gnc, and we had a really hard time with the pink-lady-culture of breastcancer Inc.

Plus, I’m really haunted by the Cancer Journals where the nurse(?) pressures Audre Lorde to wear a pink falsy on her way out from the clinic, because she wouldn’t want to lower the morale of the other women, would she?

The original pattern is by Beryl Tang, Tit Bits.

She also published it in Knitty with a great article, but what’s really neat is that the emphasis is on fun and funky versus “realistic.” I could see a knitting group at the LBGTQ center knitting up fun, beaded tetas, cupcakes, etc…

In fact, I see a whole short story growing up around this idea. From the perspective of a young transwoman. titled something like “the crazy lesbians that want to adopt me.”

“Look, m’ija, I crocheted you a breast!”

“Look! it’s like a cupcake, and the nipple is a cherry!”

And the young woman is all, please, god, please, can’t I just have a confirmation dress?

or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment